Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Edgar Allen Pug


We rescued Edgar (or, Gurr, as we like to call him) about six years ago. He was the third Pug to join our family. Always suckers for Pugs, we were asked to take him into the Baker Home for Wayward Pugs. He was very well-behaved, sweet charming (as Pugs tend to be) and just loved to be loved. I picked him up from his foster home and it was love. He rode in my lap the whole way home, leaning us against my chest because the car made him a little nervous. When Jason came home, the fur on his back rose as he barked at the strange man coming near his new mom. He has always been the one that sits by my feet. He has those doe eyes that will make you melt. Edgar has always been patient and kind to the kids- never even a dirty look! When you stroke his velvety ears, he will just relax and snore away. His biggest weakness is popcorn. He hears it popping in the microwave and starts doing the popcorn shuffle. He will bark, pace and jump up and down. When you sit with your bowl, he just stares at you with the "share that popcorn, you hoarder" look. He hates stairs and has had frequent bad breath, not to his fault- just nature, but is the sweetest and most obedient dog. He has the most tightly curled tail that rivals only a Dairy Queen ice cream cone. The minute I knew we were getting a third pug, my mind went immediately to our Christmas card. (and yes, we should be committed)

The Three Wise Pugs


Since he was a rescue, we were not sure of his age. It became apparent a few months ago that he was much older than we ever thought. It became more and more difficult to get up and walk. His tail drooped with a little curl at the end that just seemed too heavy to hold up any longer. He no longer heard the popcorn popping the microwave. Edgar became a little old man. He took a sudden and dramatic turn for the worse in a matter of days and we came to a crossroads. It was apparent that we do the humane thing. We finally had to make the very difficult and heart-breaking decision. I rubbed those little black ears as he drifted off into his final slumber. Our hearts are broken and we are mourning our little friend. He really brought us a lot of joy and smiles in the short time that we had him in our family. He is now frolicking in the green grass in the heavens above, sleeping in a great big bed and eating all the popcorn that could possibly be popped.

We love you Edgar and will miss you dearly.

8 comments:

SUZANNE said...

Oh Gurrrr, you will be missed! My thoughts are with you KB, I'm so sorry.

Chet and Kristina Cox said...

We will miss you too edgar:( smelly breathe and all:)

craftyashley said...

Hugs for you! Losing a pet is a lot harder than other non-pet owners realize. That was such a nice tribute.

Nick said...

Hopefully he finds Scout and they can hang out and run around together. Scout was our perfect dog who left us WAY too early! Kept Jess company while I spent all night in school.

The Thelins said...

What a sad post. I love the tribute to grr though. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know I would be devastated if anything happened to my "baby", so I can only imagine you're crushed. So sorry.

Shannon said...

:*( Aww. I laughed & I cried. I'm sorry about your pup. I know how hard it can be to lose a furry family member. (((hugs)))

Shannon

EmaLee said...

Karin! I'm so sorry! This post has brought tears to my eyes and I just can't believe it! He always seemed so young and full of life (especially when my leg was anywhere near!) ;). How are the other pups holding up? I'm sure they miss him just as much. Miss you Edgar!

Maria said...

So, so sorry to hear that you lost your Dog. :( What a sweet picture of him....