I was not going to post this, but have had many requests, questions and even a threat (thanks, Tricia- haha!) I do not want to sound self-important or like I am boasting. I just was lucky enough to be involved in one of the most happy occasions on Earth- a baby shower! My goal was to make it fabulous and the most memorable for an awesome friend. I called on my resources (thanks to all the gals who gave me ideas, help, or just a little encouragement) to make this shower as special as possible. Here's a little background:
I met Jenn in the hallowed halls of ClearVision Eye Center. We quickly became friends as we worked together. In fact, there was an article on "work spouses" and we fit all the qualifications. I now refer to her as my "work wife." At any given time, you will find us sharing a brain, walking the thin line of our ridiculous and sometimes inappropriate humor and proclaiming our undying love for 80's music.
I knew that Jenn and her husband did not have children and never felt it was appropriate to ask why or when or how. On our way back to the office from lunch one day, a baby talk ensued. I finally got up the nerve to ask about her situation. She openly and honestly explained their struggles with infertility. After much testing and a tragic ectopic pregnancy, her only hope was IVF. As she told me this, we already knew there were two women pregnant in our office. She confided that it was really hard for her to be around that. My heart ached and dropped into my stomach... I was 11 weeks pregnant and going to be the third in the office. I stared straight ahead, trying not to cry and not shout, "Our friendship is over- I am, too, knocked up!" I went home and talked to Jason and we decided it was time to go ahead and announce our news. I only work 2 days a week and I could not let it go another week. I was so terribly sick (not just morning sickness) that this would break a dear friend's heart. I made my announcement at the office the next day and just stared at Jenn with tears in my eyes. Being the awesome and extraordinary person she is, she just expressed her happiness for me and told me that our previous conversation did not apply to me. I still felt bad. Soon after me, 3 more people announced their pregnancies in our office. She went through the next year putting on a happy face and shared our joy every step of the way. She attended baby showers, came to see me when I had Evan, attended birthday parties... all in the name of friendship and never once felt sorry for herself.
Then came her time. She was finally going to do IVF and we all just waited with baited breath. Finally, the news that everyone waited and prayed for; "JENN IS PREGNANT!!!" After congrats, my first words were, "I am going to throw you the showers of all showers!" (Well' something like that) I am not sure if it was the shower of all showers, but I hope it was close. I deliberated and planned and deliberated some more. I rounded up a small posse to help pull it off and here are the fruits of our labors.
By the way, Jenn has birds... that is her thing... so of course we had to do a bird theme!
Greeting her at the gate, a wreath a tiny, baby diapers to get her started!
The food was laid out on a grassy knoll that was adorned with deco birdhouses.
Some of the "bird food" was: Alfredo Bird Nests with Proscuitto Branches, Birdseed Encrusted Meatballs, Petit Turkey Wraps and Stuffed Eggs
A shower must: "Norah punch." Requested by the mom-to-be herself!
For dessert, a selection of cupcakes that were nestled into little nests on the grand cupcake stand.
Courtney takes a decedent chocolate, chocolate dream cupcake
Everyone was able to write a special message or piece of advice to Jenn
Prizes for the lucky winners!
Courtney placed gift cards into nests with a mommy and daddy bird to adorn
A little thank you to everyone for helping Jenn fill her nest
Nests of birds eggs (candy) wrapped with a flower hair tie
Jenn with her two adorable helpers!
The whole planning flock poses for a picture at the end of the evening
















5 comments:
I am so glad you listened to my threat! :) Looks like a wonderful event. Lucky Mommy to be to have such wonderful friends. I'm in love with everything from the cupcake tower, invites, food table, EVERYTHING! Great work!
Karin, you're fabulous!
You KNOW i was totally diggin on this post! What spectacular attention to detail KB! Your more than deserving friend must have been over the moon happy with such a special celebration. You are an amazing friend...and I must say I feel equally as lucky to have you be a part of mine! I can't wait for my BABY BIRD BASH this weekend! PS-Did you find the pan that Brotha Smooth left on your doorstep yesterday?
Wow! The shower turned out really cute! Good job! Jen definitely deserved a great shower and you provided it!
you little Martha Stewart, you.
Post a Comment