Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Alaska Part Three: The Tracy Arm




Sawyer Glacier


When I read our itinerary and it said that we would be cruising through the Tracy Arm (Tracy Arm is a fjord near Juneau) at 5:00AM (yes, AM) I thought that good ol' Tracy would have to catch Mrs. Baker next time! Mr. Baker was so excited that I could only compare him to an 8 year old on Christmas morning- no joke! Bright and early, there was my "sunshine" prepping for the sinfully early sightseeing. I dragged my pajama laden bum outta bed and never regretted a minute of it. It was absolutely spectacular. The pictures just cannot do it the proper justice.




Scary, I know, but proof I was there!

My smart kiddos stayed sleeping for awhile as we started into the Tracy Arm. The rain was sprinkling lightly and we just sat back and enjoyed. After the kids woke up, we headed down to Chris and Mike's room because their balcony was covered. Evan enjoyed playing on the balcony.


Great Picture Chris! (not always easy to get one b/c she will never let you try!)


Evan enjoying the balcony!











Peek-a-Boo with Aunt Chris


OK, so the beauty of nature, blah, blah, blah, was lost on Norah. She watched and then "Bug's Life" won over the scenery. She would make her way out to to look at the "big ice" and then claim it was too cold and go watch her movie. :-)


Much more captivating than outside!





Gracing us with her presence!



Evan taking a milk-ee break


On our way back to the Sawyer Glacier, we passed another cruise ship. When you look at how small the ship is to the mountains, it really is awe inspiring.


I also could not believe how blue the ice is. I thought maybe it was enhanced or deceiving in pictures, but it is truly that blue. There were hundreds of icebergs floating around (cue Celine Dion: "Neeeaaarrr... Faaaarrrr... whereeeeever you are...") At one point, an iceberg was getting too close to the ship and the captain used his booster things and shot it right out. (Remember, it is me doing the posting, not Jason. For technical terms and video, please see Jason!)



7 comments:

Tricia said...

That is beautiful! I can't believe how pure and clean everything looks. Is Chris your sister? LOVE that picture. Love the picture of just you too! I might have been with Norah too, I don't like being cold!

Chet and Kristina Cox said...

I'm jealous:(

Pike's Place said...

How breathtaking!!! And kudos for the Celine Dion reference. :) That made me laugh.

EmaLee said...

Wow. These pictures are amazing! I wish I could have seen everything in person. Beautiful family shots too!

SUZANNE said...

Your photos are breathtaking!!! What an amazing trip, maybe one day the Baker/Johnson clan can go cruising together after all...remember though, Mr. Goody Two Shoes will not miss a day of class so think Spring Break!! Love ya/miss ya KB!

Jefa said...

In the event that you come back and respond to some of the comments...
was it that light at 5 a.m.? Was it early enough in the year for the days to still be fairly long? What time was sunset? Sunrise? Just curious about that sort of thing.

KB said...

I am glad you asked... :-)

We started at 5am, by the time those pictures were taken, it was later- Between 7 &8. The days were not as long as I expected. Sunrise was around 6'ish and sunset was late evening. Pretty average. I expected it to be late into the night, but it wasn't. :-)