Friday, November 7, 2008

Happy Birthday, Partner!

I am always up for planning a party! Evan's 1'st was no different. We were trying to get ready for the Alaska trip and I had a hard time focusing--- I was spending more time thinking about party planning than packing. Bad, Karin, bad! Then like a ray of light (ahhhhhh...), it came to me... We had a Western Round-Up and all the cowboys and cowgirls mozied on over for a knee-slappin' good time! From BBQ to cowboy hats and guns to paper bag vests and money bags for a goodie bag- it was a perfect birthday for my favorite outlaw!

My sweet friend, Tricia, gave Evan the best gift a mom could ask for. She gave Evan his 1 year old Piggies and Paws. (If you are not familiar with Piggies and Paws- it is a hand and/or footprint that she creates into a picture. If you don't have one- get one! It is the best and most fun way to track your kiddos growth. LOVE IT!) She had it done in time to display at the party what a gal!

Evan's little hand print portrayed as a horse!

Yes, there were actual hay bales and a horse pinata. Evan was pictured in his vest and bandanna. The leather vest sported in the picture actually belong to his daddy way back when. It was pretty precious to see him wearing it. Bless Gymboree for always having an outfit to go with the theme of my party. It is not planned, but always works out. This year's line? You guessed it- Cowboy! Complete with hat and all. Check out his little shirt, it has little horseshoes on it!


Evan and Papa Cheese It Up!


The Menu consisted of "Not too Chicken For a Duel" BBQ Chicken, "Where's the BBQ Beef", "Rootin' Tootin' Baked Beans", "Real Cowboys Eat Spinach Salad", "It's a Draw Cole Slaw", and many other delights. Thanks to mom for pitching in and making some grub! Everyone got to grab a drink at the "Watering Hole!"















Jason, Evan & Debbie Stop By the Watering Hole! Cheers!

Upon arrival, each little cowboy got a cowboy hat and gun! I know, not exactly P.C., but there were some awfully adorable cowboys and the boys were all ready for a duel! As long as they had fun!

I spy, with my little eye... Dominic so cute in his hat!


The older kids got to color and decorate their own vest. (Made from paper bag, complete with fringe that Jason and his dad cut out- thanks, team players!) Brendan thought he was much too big to do a kid's project, but quickly got into the spirit when Grandpa offered to help. After all that, I think he gets the prize for the best vest! Dumb me (or distracted me) did not get anyone modeling their vests! :-(














Grandpa and Brendan: hard at work!

Speaking of Brendan... he is Evan's cousin. Ever since Evan was a tiny baby, Brendan has adored Evan. He loved to hold him, talk to him and play with him. More than once I would see Brendan holding Evan, as still and content as could be. It is one of the sweetest relationships. Evan just adores Brendan right on back. We were so happy that Scott and his family could be there for the party. Brendan & Evan


The "little" Cousins- Brendan, Evan, Rylan, & Norah


Could it really be a party without a pinata? The kids all waited so patiently in line and then when the candy went flying, it was not mass chaos! The all sat and knelt on the lawn and filled their bags. It was a sight to see! (Thanks to Jacob for taking his life into his own hands and not having an America's Funniest Home Video's moment- that is a sucker in his mouth! ... and thanks to Damon for sitting on the wall and throwing the rest of the candy the did not fit in the pinata. When I said "candy went flying" I meant it!)

Alexander taking his best shot! Gabe, make sure you hit the pinata not your bro!

Shane basking in the glory of beheading the horse!




















Norah is a true Scharmann- Concentrating with her tongue!








CAKE TIME!



I don't think there was a kid in the house that was ready for cake... what do you think?

Evan sat and listened to everyone sing, "Happy Birthday," while trying not to dig his fingers in!





It took him a little while to warm up, but as you can see he caught on real quick!

(Note to moms: Avoid Red Frosting!!!- It looks cute, but keeps on giving!)



YUMMY!




The presents came last... everyone was so thoughtful and generous to our little guy. Even though Evan pretty much lost interest after the first gift, he definitely appreciates all the fun now. I had lots if special helpers helping with the gifts. My little friend, Ella, was the biggest helper of all. She kept the gifts coming and opening while Norah "read" all the cards. Thanks girls!











On the way out, all the kids got to stop at "Boot Hill Bank" for a little gift of their own. They got little money bags full of fun little goodies that kids get at parties. (As Jason would say, "more junk." As I would say, "More entertainment that they did not have yesterday!") I attached a little note to it:





Thanks for reading my tireless account of the party.


Now, Y'all Come Back Now, Ya Hear?

6 comments:

craftyashley said...

What a cute idea! I love those invitations- it is totally a crime to grow up!

Pike's Place said...

You're so creative and fun. Mind planning Jayce's party for me?

KB said...

I would love to!!! Anytime!

Lewieville said...

Such a cute party! I could never think of something so neat!

Dani said...

How fun!!! what a fun mom you are! sooo creative. Jason has always had good taste!!

EmaLee said...

I'm just gonna go ahead and have you come on down to Oceanside to plan Erek's party for me. :) I LOVED looking at these pictures and reading the play by play. Makes me feel like I was there having fun!